Friday, April 27, 2012

Illustrator's Contest: Sketch the Story!























Welcome to my very first contest! As a budding author/illustrator, I am always fascinated by the creative process that turns a manuscript into a picture book. For my "Like You" series (still in-progress), I created these logos and then assigned each character a title in the series:

Smart Girl, Rich Girl, Little Girl, Best Friend, Fit Girl




Rich Boy, Smart Boy, Little Boy, Best Friend, Fit Boy

I followed that up with some character development, wrote the manuscripts, and let the pictures tell the stories. These books are more educational and instructional, so a lot of my visual translations are quite literal. Other stories that I have written/am working on lean toward more imaginative and creative interpretations. While I am having some fun with this, I thought that I would give my fellow illustrators an opportunity to share their talent and possibly showcase their work.


The contest rules are simple. In your head, answer the following questions:


1) Who is this little girl?

2) Where is she running to or who is she running from? What is the story here?

Then, on paper or your computer or your iPad, create your own rendition of this character in an action scene that answers these questions. Feel free to change the facial expression, dress colors, jewelry, shoes, and hair accessories. You may add hats and props, background scenery, and other characters, if you like.

Email your submission as a jpeg file with a 3-line blurb summarizing your creation. Also include a short bio, link to your portfolio, and a head shot. If you are on Facebook, send me a  friend request, so that I can tag you on your entry photo. All entries will be posted on my Facebook page. Voting will begin on Monday, May 7th and end on Friday, May 11, 2012. 


DEADLINE for SUBMISSIONS: 
Friday, May 4, 2012

Prizes: The three entries with the highest numbers of votes ("Likes") will be featured on my blog and Facebook page.

First Place: Full 10-question artist interview, 7-illustration portfolio, bio, contact information including links your to social media sites.

Runner-Up: Abbreviated 7-question artist interview, 5-illustration portfolio, contact information including links your to social media sites.
 

Honorable Mention: Abbreviated 5-question artist interview, 3-illustration portfolio, contact information including links your to social media sites.


I am looking for imaginative and whimsical artwork. Have fun with this challenge! Feel free to pose questions in the comments below.



Keep your pen to the paper! Remember, inspiration is everywhere...







1 comment: